Thursday, October 8, 2009

A few weeks ago, Michael had his "white coat ceremony". It's a ceremony where the 1st year dental students get their white coats, symbolizing their entry into the dental field and their becoming a "professional". It was held in a nice building on campus (there's a picture below). Some parents fly in for the occasion, I guess it's a pretty big deal. Students were called up in alphabetical order. I waited as each student was helped into their white coat, pausing with the dean for a photo. When it was Michael's turn, I was at the front near the stage with my camera ready. He got on his coat and instead of just standing by the dean for a photo, gave a thumbs up.

Everyone in the auditorium started laughing. I thought it was because of his dorky thumbs up pose. Later, Michael told me it was because the price tag slipped out of the arm of his white coat when he raised his arm.


I guess they weren't sure if Michael would make it through school so they left the tag on!

There a little bit of a reception outside after with some snacks, cookies, a nut mix, mints, and the best punch I've ever had. Here's Michael, the future dentist, with his little son, who would not smile for the camera.

We had Drew all dressed up for the occasion. The tie, a very cute fashion accessory, also doubled as a chew toy.

We got a picture of all the LDS guys in Michael's class.


This is the building the ceremony was held in.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow, two blog entries in the same week!

You look great Michael . . . somehow always making "a statement" on stage. That was funny about the price tag. Thanks to Petrea for documenting the unique moment.

The family photo looks great too! Love Drew's tie.

May Takahashi said...

Thanks for sharing your special occasion. I must
say that you look very professional as well as very handsome. Drew looks really cute and grown up. Glad that you got in the picture Petrea. Motherhood seems to agree with you.
All the best in your studies Michael. You will make a good dentist. Love you all

.Ang. said...

That is a funny story!!!

Last time I saw michael in that sort of situation (wearing a robe of some sort, walking across the stage and shaking someone of importance's hand and pausing for a picture) People were laughing for a different reason!

Just be glad a speedo wasn't involved!

Burgess Family said...

You did good Petrea with all the picture taking and
documenting the event for us. Thanks.

And Michael and Drew you look great in all the photos.

Darrell and I had a good laugh about the price tag hanging out. Only Michael could make everyone laugh.

Nothing will ever top the Grade 12 Graduation ceremonies though....those were fun times.

Wilma said...

Drew is seriously working on that tie!

Everyone is looking great.

...Are you sure people were laughing about the price tag?
...just asking... That's funny too but...

Jeanette and Dave said...

Love your blog! This is Sister Crane :)