Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkin hunting

My dad came for a visit last weekend. One of things we did together was go to Boyd Orchard for their Pumpkin Festival. Unfortunately, Kentucky was as cold as Canada that day, but we still had fun. I'd never been to a pumpkin patch before.

Here we are outside the store.

They had all kinds of neat looking squash/gourds.
Any ideas for what you would do with these?

We went to the patch a little later in the season than we should have maybe. Someone was saying that had we been there a week or so earlier, the vines would still have been green and leafy. Next year maybe. It was still really neat to see all the beautiful orange pumpkins all over the ground. It's amazing that nature can create such beautiful colors.

In search of the perfect pumpkin.
It was pretty chilly that day so Drew just stayed bundled up in the stroller. Next year he'll be running around and can pick out his own pumpkin!
I love pumpkins.
They had a "cornhole" board set up. It's a Kentucky game; everyone plays it at tailgate parties etc..., any outdoor group setting really. You have little beanbag type things filled with dried corn which you throw towards the board. You get different amounts of points for getting your corn bag in or near the hole. Mike and I have never played but I'm sure we will.

4 comments:

May Takahashi said...

Great b log. Loved it . Drew is really getting a personality all his own. You both look great. You wondered what they did with gourds. They are mainly for decoration but people can make things with them.I have used smaller ones for decoration for Thanksgiving or Halloween..They usually come in different fall colors.

May Takahashi said...

If you like doing crafts-- google gourds and it gives you lots of ideas. Good luck.

Burgess Family said...

Drew is pretty cute all bundled up.

The two of you look pretty good too.

Petrea, it was nice to have your Dad come and visit.

.Ang. said...

Drew is so cute!!! and growing so FAST!!!!

That must have been so nice to have your dad visit!! I ALWAYS LOVE visits from family! I think you appreciate them more when you move thousands of miles away!!

Love you guys!! Take care!