Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thursday night adventure

Michael and I had a fun adventure Thursday night. I'll start the story from my perspective and then fill in Michael's side. At work, I teach a parent language program (for parents of children who are late to talk) with another SLP (Speech Language Pathologist). We usually run the program during the day, but because it's hard for some parents who work to come, we are running an evening session this time. The session ended at 8:30pm. Michael was at home studying and cleaning the house (my parents were coming the next day for a visit), and said that he would pick me up from the hospital at 9pm. It took me longer to clean up after the program than usual, but at 9:10pm, I finally walked through the front doors, worried that Michael would be upset that I was late. I looked around the small parking lot...No Michael. It's not like him to be late, I thought; I'll just wait a few minutes. It was 9:15pm; I decided to go back to my office to call him. Well, unfortunately, the doors to the hospital lock at 9pm. I was locked out. It was dark. I saw a silver car pull up, but it wasn't Michael. Did he forget me? I decided to try and get back into the hospital through the emergency exit. Just as I was turning around, a figure on a bicycle approached through the darkness. I recognized the plaid shorts and the Kentucky hoodie then realized that it was Michael. Why was he on a bike? Why was he late? Where's the car? How are we getting home? Before I had time to pose these questions, Michael said, "Promise me you won't be mad". Oh great I thought, he's totaled our car. He explained that he had been cleaning the house and was taking a couple of bags out to the dumpster, when he realized the door was locked and his keys were in the house. Now, this is more funny when you know that this isn't the first time Michael has locked himself out of things. Usually it's the car. Several times we've had to call a tow-truck company to unlock the doors. Anyway, it was 8:50pm at the time. Michael, unable to contact me by phone (it was in the house with his keys), and unable to drive, rode his bike 3.8 miles through the ghetto, through downtown, and across the river to reach me. He rode as fast as he could, not even stopping to pull up his pants. This was probably for the best as he does not have reflectors on his bike; his white bottom made him visible to approaching cars. He was very sweaty when he rode up - despite wearing shorts and sandals - and said he could taste blood in his mouth. How could I be mad at my wonderful hubby who rode so fast and so far to make sure that I wasn't marooned at the hospital. We took the bus home together. It turned out to be a fun little date. Moral of the story, when with Michael, always carry a spare set of keys.

12 comments:

.Ang. said...

what a good husband!

Can't wait to hear Michaels side of the story!

Anonymous said...

Now...where was that Saskatoon Phoenix photographer.....!!!!

Headlines could read...SASKATOON FITNESS GURU WALKS 'and' RIDES!

Do you need a hot tip for unlocking car doors with cellphones?

Wilma said...

...over the mountain, and through the woods...

I'm glad everything worked out well, and to know that the two of you still go out on dates. It sounds like it was a dangerous ride to the hospital but, like Ang said, "what a good husband".

I was just wondering, did Michael learn from his last "moral of the story" and was wearing something relatively decent?

Okay Michael, your turn...

Petrea, Michael, Drew, and Oliver said...

I was matching for the most part. As mentioned I wasn't wearing a belt so my rear end was a little exposed as I was biking. I was just going to the dumpster so I had shorts on and sandals. Keep in mind it was barely above zero celsius and really dark. I was freezing. It turned out to be kinda fun.

jacquirae said...

HILARIOUS!! I was laughing out loud for real. I'm excited for Michael's side of the story!

kristi Dupont said...

Ohh Michael...
I am glad you made it through the Ghetto safe and sound.
Your posts keep getting funnier and funnier, I am quite enjoying myself!

I can't wait to see you guys this weekend, the rodeo is going to be awesome!

Sarah said...

hi Michael & Petrea!
I just wanted to say Congratulations!!!!! I hope you guys are doing great!

love, (M's cousin) Sarah :)

Burgess Family said...

I was laughing the whole time. I knew the outcome because Michael had to phone me and tell me the next day. I didn't know Petrea's side of the story.
Poor Petrea...she must have been pretty worried.

It's all funny now, because everyone is safe.

Funny, AK...now that would have been really funny to read about that one in the paper.

Lana Dawn said...

you guys could have a sitcom


i really want to hear michaels side of things!

Anonymous said...

Thats one for the Readers Digest. Maybe a 200 or 500 dollar story - since it is true.
I admire you Petrea for your compassion and to also see the humorous side.Grandmabashi

Papahashi said...

I'm just glad I wasn't riding a bike behind Michael.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Petrea, where was your camera? That would have been a priceless photo of Michael arriving to the hospital on the bike. Love reading everyone's blogs . . all the crazy experiences are great to read.