Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Birthday visit

Halloween weekend, my parents came for a visit. I always love to see them, but it was especially nice to be able to celebrate my dad's birthday with him - he was born on Halloween. We had a lovely dinner at the Keg (probably my favorite restaurant!). For those of you who have been to the Keg, you know that the atmosphere there is very classy. The servers are nicely dressed, well groomed young men wearing white shirts and ties. This is the experience that we were expecting. Apparently however, on Halloween night, the dress-code loosens... a lot. Our server was wearing a big curly clown wig, big red shoes, a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and his face was completely painted. This was topped off with a big red clown nose. Another server was dressed as a keg of beer. I really enjoyed my meal, but had a hard time taking our waiter seriously. After dinner and before cake, we visited the local Indigo Book store that opened last week. There was a very nice gentleman doing portraits in 7 minutes. Somehow I got roped into being drawn. Does it look like me?

For dessert, we had a lovely chocolate carrot cake with cream cheese- my favorite cake recipe -- topped with chocolate spiders to honor the holiday. If anyone is interested, I can post the recipe. It has crushed pineapple in it as well as shredded carrot so that you don't need as much oil as a regular carrot cake. It's always very moist which is an important quality in a cake for me.


5 comments:

jacquirae said...

that cake is so cute! how'd you get the icing to sit like that??
i would like the recipe please!!

oh ya, and keep meaning to ask you for your oreo cookie recipe. Those thing are amazing!! please and thank you:)

kristi Dupont said...

Super cute cake! Now I am feeling snacky............
and that picture is pretty awesome for a 7 minute portrait!!! Your hair looks great!!!

Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Burgess Family said...

Could you make me the cake instead...I'll provide the carrots...still have lots in the back fridge.

If not, I would love the recipe. I actually like carrot cake (without the raisins of course) but never take the time to make it. This will be a good time to try a new recipe that I know will work.

The portrait - good for a short session but I don't think it looks like you...he did get the curly hair right though. But I will look again...I actually need a photo of you next to it. We haven't seen you for a long time and my memory is short, I forget what you look like.

I look forward to seeing you and your Mom this weekend...and you too Michael.

Burgess Family said...

Oh ya, one more thing. That was nice that your parents came for the short visit and that your Dad wanted to spend his birthday with you.

A Halloween birthday...there is someone else I was talking to that had their birthday the same day...but can I think of who it was...no...like I said my memory is going.

Happy belated birthday to your Dad!

Wilma said...

The cake looks so good and I WOULD like the recipe! I like the chocolate spiders also, they really add.

I agree with Sheila about the picture, the hair looks like yours but I can't see the rest of it...I think the person needed another minute.