Friday, October 31, 2008

Star Phoenix

Happy Halloween everyone.

Every Sunday, rain or shine, Petrea and I go for a 45-50min walk in the river valley. Its something we look forward to doing every week. Being that its been a little chilly recently the paths aren't quite as busy as they are in the summer so we usually don't bump into many people. Last Sunday we woke up, got dressed, and headed out the door when Petrea, with a little smile, uttered those all too familiar words, " You aren't leaving the house like that are you?" For some reason she didn't feel that my purple-blue track pants went well with my jean jacket and that one shouldn't wear white socks with leather sandals. Looked fine to me. As usual I wasn't too bothered and thought to myself 'really, who is going to see us anyways?'. I made it out the door without having to change and we went on our walk. The walk was lovely. Another blissful stroll in the cool fall air on the vacant paths that line the banks of the So. Saskatchewan.
Next day Petrea gets an email from a member of the ward telling her to check the Star Phoenix (Saskatoon's newspaper)........ Sure enough, there we were. We thought we were alone that day but sure enough the paparazzi found us and thought they would share with the whole world, or at least the residents of Saskatoon, what the Piepgrass family is up to and more importatly what they are wearing.
Moral of the story: Someone is always watching so remember who you are and what you are wearing, as your photo could be in the paper the next day.

8 comments:

.Ang. said...

HAHAAHAH that is hilarious!!! that's why it is always important to listen to your wife!!! :)

If i were the photographer I'm not sure I would have used the picture for the paper.I would have taken it just in case she went missing. and I would have approached her on the path and asked "do you know this guy? and Is he bothering you?"

jacquirae said...

hahaha! Thanks for the picture... I love that story.

I support the "Listen to your wife" idea. FOR SURE.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others. Listen to your wife--
she wants to be proud of you -just in case you meet someone you know. Murphy's Law.. Ifc you don't think you will meet someone -you always will.Happy Halloween!Grandmabashi

kristi Dupont said...

I am so glad you finally decided to share that wonderful story!!!! After you told me I was searching the internet trying to find the picture, but came out unsuccessful, so thanks for brightening my day!!!
Hope you guys have a Happy Halloween!!!

Burgess Family said...

That is sooo funny...even though you told me the story over the phone. It is so much fun to read it on the blog and to actually see a photo.

It really it is true...you never know who is watching you.

Anonymous said...

We can have tons of fun with this one. Poster? Art? One liner? Frame it for posterity!

Kristi...I found it!
Go to Saskatoon Phoenix and then type in 'still some green'.

http://www.canada.com/
saskatoonstarphoenix/news/
story.html?id=
f7b64dc5-b79d-468a-a7bb-
165ac3f2afba

You two are such great sports - you look great to me.
(But it IS funny!)

Wilma said...

This could only happen to you Michael! TOO FUNNY!! It was still your lucky day because at least the picture didn't capture your "white socks with sandals".

Another MORAL to be learned from your blog, this is turning out to be so very educational.

This topic of "...this is why you dress appropriately when you go out..." is the theme of my past week. On Thursday I said these words to Uncle Dave when I picked him up at his mechanics after he woke up to pick Nicole up from school, threw some clothes on and then had the car stop repeatedly on the way, resulting in him having to drop the car off again to be worked on.

Lana Dawn said...

i am with everyone else.. this is funny but mostly because something like this would only happen to you! i am a little concerned that you own purple-blue sweat pants.. and i can't believe you decided to break the cardinal rule of not wearing socks with sandals. But it makes for a great story.. haha i love it!